Learn To Be Present
What does it mean to live fully in the present moment? It means that your awareness is completely centered on the here and now. You are not worrying about the future or thinking about the past. When you live in the present, you are living where life is happening. The past and future are illusions, they don’t exist.
The distinction between “being present” and “not being present” has to do with whether you are spending more time in your head or more time in experiencing.
Why Being Present Is Important
- The more present you are, the more aware you are of yourself, of your surroundings, and of the people in those surroundings. This increased awareness gives you more feedback that allows you to make better decisions and take more effective action.
- The more present you are, the more your body relaxes. This is simply because so much of our tension stress comes from remembering what you don’t like or anticipating what you don’t like. When these kinds of thoughts are reduced by present awareness, especially in a relatively peaceful or secure environment, the more your body lets go of excess tension.
- The more present you are, the more energy you have. Not only because of the relaxation but because it allows you to put more attention on energizing activities.
- The more present you are, the more connection you have with other people. People who are present can tell when you aren’t, no matter how good you are at faking it. There is a difference in how it feels emotionally to be around you when you are present and when you are not.
- The more present you are, the more confident you are. It’s easier it is to recall and use your skills and talents. You are also able to change life rules that aren’t working for you, to give good directions to your body, to recall good memories, and to change the effects of bad ones.
Ways To Practice Being Present
- Focus On The Now...In order to live in the moment, you need to focus on the now. Focus on what you’re doing. Shut off the TV, turn off the computer, slow down, and savor the present.
- Smile…If you want to know how to live in the moment, you just have to take a look in the mirror and smile. Smile — it can influence how you feel.
- Random Acts Of Kindness…Random acts of kindness, those selfless acts that help others, help you live for the moment of making others smile and making you smile as well. Random acts of kindness are just that — random. They are spontaneous, in the moment, and a great addition to your daily life.
- Pay Attention To The Little Things…Notice the world around you: the small things. Be thankful for them. Living for the moment and taking notice of the small things will help you cultivate more positive experiences.
- Be Thankful…Every now and then, remember to stop and take stock of just how good you have it. When your friend makes you smile, thank her for being in your life. When your boss gives you a new task, say thanks, remembering that you still have a job and can put food on the table. When you think it or feel it, say it right then. Live in the moment by expressing your gratitude when you feel it.
- Don’t Worry…It’s much harder than it sounds, but try to remember that worrying today won’t change what happens tomorrow. Every second you spend in worry about the future is a second of the present wasted. Because worrying takes you out of this moment and transports you into the realm of future possibilities, it’s impossible to live in the moment and worry at the same time.
So, how do we stay present? The first thing to recognize is that try as we might, we really can only do one thing at a time, so we ought to do that thing wholeheartedly. Most of our time is spent in the past or the future, rather than the present moment. What we end up doing is passing through that moment on the way to somewhere else and, in doing so, we miss the moment anticipating the future is also problematic – even futile — because, no matter how much we’d like to convince ourselves otherwise, we can’t really control the direction in which things will go.
The importance of the present moment in our life is that the past will not come back and we don’t know the future, so what left with us is only Present.
Contact us to transform your life today!